Glasserton War Memorial

A stone obelisk on a mortared cairn, this is one of those memorials that lies at a road junction (here the A 746 and A 747 in the Machars peninsula, Dumfries and Galloway, near the road to St Ninian’s cave car park) and where there doesn’t seem to be much of a population about.

Inscribed, “Their name liveth for evermore,” and below, “In memory of the men from Glasserton Parish who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War, 1914-1918,” followed by 17 names. At bottom, “And in World War 1939-1945.” One name.

Glasserton War Memorial

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

free hit counter script