Archives » First World War

Seaforth Cemetery (Cheddar Villa,) Sint-Juliann, Belgium

Originally called Cheddar Villa after the name given by the army to the farm on the site this lies 5 kilometres northwest of Ypres on the N313 road leading to Bruges. It’s now called Seaforth Cemetery at the request of the Seaforth Highlanders as more than 100 of the 148 burials were from the regiment’s 2nd Battalion.

Exterior, Seaforth Cemetery St Julien, Belgium

Seaforth Cemetery, Cheddar Villa

Wall dedicated to the men of the 2nd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, 99 of whom are buried in the cemetery plus 23 others who also died in the attack on St Julien on 25/4/1915 and 25/4/1915.

Dedication Wall, Seaforth Cemetery, St Julien, Belgium

Cemetery interior:-

Seaforth Cemetery Interior

More headstones:-

Graves, Seaforth Cemetery

Most of the headstones do not mark individual graves. “The 75 non-commissioned officers and men buried in this grave are commemorated by headstones erected against the left hand wall of this cemetery.”

Memorial Stone, Seaforth Cemetery

“The18 non-commissioned officers and men buried in this grave are commemorated by headstones erected against the right hand wall of this cemetery.”

Seaforth Cemetery, Memorial Stone

50th Northumbrian Division Memorial, Oxford Road, Wieltje, Belgium

50th Northumbrian Division Memorial, Wieltje, Belgium

Close-up. The Dedication reads, “to the enduring memory of all ranks of the 50th Northumbrian Division who fell in the Great War 1914 – 1918 and in memory of their comrades of the same division who gave their lives in the war of 1939 – 1945 for the liberation of France, Belgium and Holland.” On the lowest plinth, “Pro Patria.”

50th Northumbrian Division Memorial Close-up

Side inscription, “The Ayrshire Yeomanry; the Yorkshire Hussars; 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, Northumbrian Brigade, RFA; Northumbrian Amminition Column; Northumbrian Divisional Engineers, RE; 50th Divisional Train, RASC; 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Northumbrian Field Ambulance, RAMC; Northumbrian Division CCS; Northumbrian Vet Section, RAVC; RAOC.”

Inscription 50th Northumbrian Division Memorial, Wieltje, Belgium

Other side inscription, “149th Infantry Brigade: 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th Northumberland Fusiliers; 5th Border Regiment.
150th Infantry Brigade; 4th East Yorks; 4th, 5th Yorkshire Regiment Green Howards; 5th Durham Light Infantry.
151st Infantry Brigade: 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th Durham Light Infantry; 5th Loyal North Lancs Regiment.”

50th Northumbrian Division Memorial Inscriptions

Memorial Information Board:-

50th Northumbrian Division Memorial Information Board

The view from the 50th Northumbrian Division Memorial is now so peaceful:-

View From 50th Northumbrian Division Memorial

So much so alpacas were ruminating by the memorial:-

Alpacas by 50th Northumbrian Division Memorial

Glenluce War Memorial

Glenluce is a village in the parish of Old Luce in Dumfries and Galloway.

Its War Memorial is a granite trapezoidal obelisk on a square base.

I like the fact that a children’s playground is right beside the memorial.

Glenluce War Memorial

Dedications. “Erected to the memory of the men connected with the parish of Old Luce who fell in the Great War 1914 – 1919.” And below: “And in World War 1939 – 1945” with 10 names:-

Dedications Glenluce War Memorial

The Great War names are on the other three sides:-

Great War Names Glenluce War Memorial

Glenluce War Memorial Great War Names

More Great War Names Glenluce War Memorial

War Memorial and Grave, Kirkcowan

Kirkcowan is a village within a larger district of the same name in Dumfries and Galloway, a few miles northwest of Wigtown. Its War Memorial is in the form of a Celtic cross on a tapered column atop a square plinth and lies in the churchyard.

Kirkcowan War Memorial

The top panel is inscribed, “In memory of the gallant men of Kirkcowan who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1919.” The lower panel continues, “And of (11 names) who gave their lives in the World-War 1919-1945.”

Dedications Kirkcowan War Memorial

Also in the churchyard was a war grave. Private D F Hamilton, The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles,) 8/3/1918, aged 22:-

War Grave, Kirkcowan

Port William

Port William is a small port on the west shore of the Machars Peninsula, Dumfries and Galloway.

Harbour:-

Harbour, Port William

Flagstaff with bird:-

Flagstaff, Port William

War Memorial from distance:-

Port William War Memorial

War Memorial close-up. A stone cross surmounting a hexagonal pillar on an octagonal plinth.

War Memorial, Port William

War Memorial Great War Plaque. Dedicated, “In memory of the men of Mochrum who gave their lives for King and Country 1914-1918.” Mochrum is the name of the parish which encompasses Port William:-

Port William War Memorial Great War Plaque

World War 2 Dedication, “In memory of the men of Mochrum who gave their lives for King and Country 1939-1945”:-

World War 2 Dedication, Port William War Memorial

Glasserton War Memorial

A stone obelisk on a mortared cairn, this is one of those memorials that lies at a road junction (here the A 746 and A 747 in the Machars peninsula, Dumfries and Galloway, near the road to St Ninian’s cave car park) and where there doesn’t seem to be much of a population about.

Inscribed, “Their name liveth for evermore,” and below, “In memory of the men from Glasserton Parish who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War, 1914-1918,” followed by 17 names. At bottom, “And in World War 1939-1945.” One name.

Glasserton War Memorial

Isle of Whithorn

Isle of Whithorn is not to be confused with Whithorn. It is about three miles further south and is one of the most southerly villages in Scotland. The locals refer to it simply as, “the Isle.” It is said to be the place at which St Ninian first made landfall in Scotland.

Harbour. This is where the Drummullin Burn enters the Solway Firth:-

Isle of Whithorn Harbour

A chapel dedicated to St Ninian was erected here in the 13th century. Its ruins lie very close to the sea.

St Ninian's Chapel, Isle of Whithorn

Interior, St Ninian's Chapel, Isle of Whithorn,

St Ninian's Chapel Interior, Isle of Whithorn,

External wall,m St Ninian's Chapel, Isle of Whithorn

The village has a War Memorial to the right of the road entering it. A Celtic Cross on a square plinth. Great War names here:-

Isle of Whithorn War Memorial

Dedications, ‘In honour of the men from the village and district who fell in the Great War 1914-1918. “Lest We Forget.” 1939-1945,’ and World War 2 names:-

Dedications, Isle of Whithorn War Memorial

Edited to add: I meant to say above that the Isle was where part of the cult horror film The Wicker Man was filmed.

War Graves and Dedications in Whithorn

Whithorn Priory and Whithorn Parish Church are surrounded by a cemetery in which there are some Commonwealth War Graves.

Staff Serjt W B Arnott, Royal Army Medical Corps, 15/12/1915, aged 32:-

War Grave, Whithorn

Private J Irvine MM, Labour Corps, 19/2/1920, aged 34:-

Whithorn War Grave

Private P Whalley, The King’s Liverpool Regt, 19/10/1918:-

Whithorn War Grave

Thomas Drape Clark killed in action near Arras, France, 23/4/1917, aged 36:-

War Death  Dedication, Whithorn

John Norman Brown, 2nd Lieut, Border Regt, lost at sea in the Great War:-

Whithorn, War Death Dedication

Whithorn War Memorial

Whithorn’s War Memorial is a hexagonal column surmounted by a globe, rising from a hexagonal plinth on succesively larger hexagonal bases. It stands in the middle of the main street.

The dedication reads, “The men from the Royal Burgh and Parish of Whithorn whose names are written here gave their lives for their country in the Great Wars 1914 – 1919, 1939 – 1945.” The upper tier of names, just above the plinth is for the war of 1939-1945:-

Whithorn War Memorial

War Memorial, Whithorn

Names, Whithorn War Memorial

Upper Sorbie War Memorial

Sorbie is in the former Wigtownshire part of Dumfries and Galloway. I foun dafterr getting home from our visit tio the southeast that here is also a memorial for Sorbie Parish in the town of Garlieston a few miles east of this.

Upper Sorbie’s War Memorial is in the form of a Celtic Cross surmounting a plinth.

Upper Sorbie War Memorial

The inscription reads, “Pro Patria 1914 1918. To the glory of God and in memory of the men from the upper district of Sorbie Parish who made the supreme sacrifice in the Great War.”
Below, “1939 – 1945. Pte James Kevan.”

Upper Sorbie War Memorial Dedication

Great War names:-

Upper Sorbie War Memorial Names

Names, Upper Sorbie War Memorial

free hit counter script