Shandon War Memorial and Garelochhead Memorial Bench

Shandon is a village on the shores of the Gare Loch in Argyll and Bute (the part which used to be in West Dunbartonshire.) Garelochhead lies at the head of the Gare Loch.

Shandon’s War Memorial lies beside the A 814 between Rhu and Garelochhead and takes the form of a sandstone Celtic Cross. The inscription on the pillar reads, “And the leaves of thee were for the sealing of the nations.”

Shandon War Memorial

Great War dedication. “To the glory of God and in grateful memory of (names) who died on active service and of thirty-six men from the district who took part in the Great War 1914-1919 and returned in safety.” Below is inscribed, “Give thanks o heart for the high souls that point us to the deathless goals.”

Shandon War Memorial Great War Dedication

World War 2 dedication. “To the glory of God and in remembrance of the young men of Shandon who gave their lives in the Second World War 1939 – 1945.” Below reads, “The people blessed all the men that willingly offered themselves.”

Shandon War Memorial, Second World War Dedication

War Memorial bench, Garelochhead, presumably for the 100th anniversary of the Great War. Situated in grounds of church:-

War Memorial Bench at Garelochhead

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

free hit counter script