Posted in Trips, War Memorials at 12:00 pm on 4 February 2016
Northallerton’s War Memorial sits at the north end of the main street; a simple cross on a tapering pilar surmounting an octagonal plinth with buttresses.
This is taken from the south. The names are for 1914-1919:-
From the north. The names are for 1939-1945 plus there is an inscription to “All ranks 6th Bomber Group, Royal Canadian Air Force.”
Posted in Trips, War Memorials at 12:00 pm on 27 January 2016
Oakham School is an independent (fee-charging) school in Oakham.
The War Memorial to its pupils is in the form of a doorway with carved saints and such above and to its side. I thought I would be able to stitch these photos together to give an impression of the whole but it seems there’s not enough overlap:-
The names are in panels to either side of the doorway:-
Posted in Trips, War Memorials at 12:00 pm on 25 January 2016
Tower and spire from Oakham War Memorial:-
Posted in Trips, War Memorials at 8:17 pm on 24 January 2016
Is situated in the churchyard of All Saints.
A series of stepped plinths leading to an octofoil arrangement with a broader stone surmount with a simple pillar on top and carvings towards the summit.
The inscription inside the stone wreath reads, “to the men of Oakham who gave their lives in the Great War.”
The names of the dead are engraved on the inshots of the star-like elements just below.
All Saints Church in background. 8 names for World War 2 are engraved on the topmost stone here:-
Another lateral view:-
Posted in Trips, War Memorials at 8:00 pm on 20 January 2016
Is prominently situated in the town centre.
A quatrefoil base supporting a pillar topped by a cross.
The dedication is to “all in the parishes of Market Harborough and Great and Little Bowden who gave their lives.”
A name panel is below – with others in the remaining inshots of the quatrefoil base.
Posted in War Memorials at 8:00 pm on 14 January 2016
Rushton is a small village in Northamptonshire.
The War Memorial stands by the road at a play/recreation area, a cross above a tapered pedestal on a plinth on which are incised the names of the World War 1 dead. Those of World War 2 dead are engraved on the wall behind.
Posted in Trips, War Memorials at 12:00 pm on 13 January 2016
The War Memorial of Geddington, Norhamptonshire, lies in the grounds of the Church of St Mary Magdalene which stands near to the Eleanor Cross.
The Memorial is a simple cross on a tapered stone pedestal standing on a plinth.
Unusually the names of the war dead are not engraved on the Memorial but rather are set into the wall of the church. 1914-1918 names in middle plaque, 1939-1945 on lower. The upper panel contains names for both wars of men from Newton Parish.
There are also two Commonwealth War Graves in the churchyard.
Driver Charles Townley, Royal Field Artillery, 9/11/1918. Aged 24.
Aircraftman J W Green, RAF, 15/9/1940. Age 32.
Posted in Trips, War Memorials at 12:00 pm on 7 January 2016
The War Memorial for Bladon, Oxfordshire, is situated beside the main road through the village:-
This is cenotaph-like above the plinth:-
Posted in Trips, War Memorials at 10:00 am on 6 January 2016
The churchyard of St Martin’s, Bladon, Oxfordshire, contains the last resting place of one of the towering figures of the Twentieth Century, a scion of the Marlborough family of neighbouring Blenheim Palace.
Winston Spencer Churchill:-
And of his wife Clemmy:-
Just opposite the grave is this homage to Churchill from the Danish Resistance:-
In the vestibule of St Martin’s is this memorial plaque to Churchill, which also commemorates the peal of bells rung in his memory after the interment:-
Also in the churchyard is a war grave, that of Private J Shayler, Pioneer Corps, 1/5/1944, aged 55:-
Posted in Trips, War Memorials at 12:00 pm on 5 January 2016
Bladon is a small village close to the Blenheim estate in Oxfordshire, England.
This view of it is almost prototypically of an English village:-
This is the village’s church, St Martin’s:-
Church interior showing stained glass windows above the altar:-
More stained glass in St Martin’s:-
There is more from Bladon to follow.